Last week, while vacationing in Oregon, I learned some stuff:
- It’s not fun to have food poisoning while flying to Oregon. (Meager rations, a grueling pace, something like dysentery. Now I’ve played Oregon Trail as a role-playing game.)
- People from Oregon are called Oregonians.
- If you see an Oregonian who looks like a (non-blue) avatar, they’re probably a world-class runner.
- Eugene is called the Emerald City because it is green all year round.
- Human beings everywhere complain about the weather.
- Oregon is wonderfully biker-friendly and toe cage pedals are great once you get used to them.
- Yumm Sauce makes rice, beans, and cold vegetables yummy. (Here’s an imitation Yumm sauce recipe.)
- The Adjustment Bureau is a good movie, but The Town is not.
- In The Adjustment Bureau, God meets Matt Damon’s character in the park under the guise of a joyful, encouraging, white-haired man.
- The Columbia Gorge is gorgeous.