Recently, friend-of-the-blog Chris and I stayed up exploring paradoxes so late that we finished early. Here are some of my favorites:
- The Ship of Theseus, or George Washington’s Axe – If the parts keep changing, is the original still there?
- The Friendship Paradox – On average, most people have fewer friends than their friends do.
- Simpson’s Paradox – E.g., from 1995 to 1997, David Justice had a higher batting average than Derek Jeter every year, but Jeter’s average is higher than his when those three years are combined.
- The Paradox of the Court – A contract law problem I’d like to ask Dad.
- The Will Rogers Phenomenon – E.g., when Brett Farve left the Packers to (eventually) join the Vikings he made both teams better.
- And many more…